From the constant threat of the Sinhala-Tamil conflict to the tsunami of 2004 to the civil war’s bloody conclusion, more than 100,000 people have lost their lives. More than 900,000 (mostly Tamils) emigrated or fled and more than one million are displaced.
Buddhism is the national religion and, as such, is protected and promoted. The law assures freedom of religion; however, anti-conversion initiatives and sporadic violence against Christians occur because of extreme Buddhist groups. Christianity is often perceived as foreign and evangelism as an unethical inducement to conversion.
Traditional mainline churches have declined from 21 percent of the population in 1722 to 7 percent in 2010. The causes include nominalism, theological liberalism, insufficient outreach and lack of indigenous representation. Aggressive Buddhist proselytism and emigration of Tamil Christians steadily whittle away their flocks.
Persecution comes in waves and is sporadic, but it is intense when it occurs. More than 250 churches have been destroyed or damaged in recent years. This persecution is a double-edged sword; it threatens believers, but also fuels church growth and spiritual passion. Its causes are multiple—the hatred of the enemy for God’s people, the extremist agendas of some Buddhist and Hindu groups, the historic association of Christianity with foreign oppressors and the inappropriate, insensitive methods adopted by some evangelists and church planters.
- Pray for protection for Christians as opposition confronts them.
- Pray for a lasting peace in Sri Lanka's civil war.
- Pray the gospel message will continue to spread and that many will come to Christ.
Sri Lanka Profile
(December 08, 2011)
Violence against Christians
(July 28, 2011)
Pastors under attack
(February 10, 2011)
Pray for Christians in India and Sri Lanka
(August 26, 2010)
Mob attacks church
(December 09, 2009)
Church attacked by Buddhists
(November 18, 2009)
(July 22, 2009)
- turistipercaso.it/sri-lanka/Sri lanka: scopri racconti, foto e consigli di migliaia di viaggiatori e le migliori offerte per organizzare il tuo viaggio, e condividi le tue esperienze con gli altri turisti ...
- www.srilanka.com/ - Traduci questa paginaFast, secure and easy to use online hotel reservation service for hotels in Sri Lanka. Lowest Sri Lankan hotel rates and no hidden charges.
- www.priu.gov.lk/ - Traduci questa paginaOfficial site provides information about the Government's structure, its history and evolution, and its current programs and activities.
- www.ambcolombo.esteri.it/[Colombo] Fornisce informazioni riguardanti l'ambasciata, l'Istituto di cultura ed i consolati. Presenta le iniziative italiane, turistiche e commerciali, alle Maldive.
- https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world.../geos/ce.html13 Jul 2012 – Features map and brief descriptions of the geography, people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military and ...
- Sri Lanka. Elefanti e leopardi per spot
La Repubblica - 2 giorni faLeopardi attraversano uno sterrato nel parco nazionale di Yala (le foto di Yala sono di Dinuka Liyanawatte, Reuters)
Non fermarti ora - Gen Rosso
- www.persecution.net/srilanka.htm - Traduci questa paginaThis beach-lined island, originally named Ceylon, gained independence from Britain in 1948 and had its named changed to Sri Lanka in 1972. Violence broke ...
- www.asianews.it/.../Fr.-Mike,-prophet-and-mar... - Traduci questa pagina14 Jul 2012 – The Oblate of Mary Immaculate priest was killed in 1987 in Buttala. The anniversary of his ordination falls in July. The memory of his great work ...
- groundviews.org/.../martyrology-martyrdom-r... - Traduci questa pagina17 Mar 2012 – The men who were executed were regarded as martyrs. .... I was amused at the usage in Sri Lanka (and Tamil Nadu) of the expression “fast ...
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pdVBKLFOUw4 mar 2011 - 2 min - Caricato da Coach2reporter
3 March 2009 when some anti Pakistan forces attacked on Sri Lanka Cricket Team at Liberty chowk Lahore ...
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeR_6dq7ojo23 apr 2008 - 1 min - Caricato da onlyone2299
Sri Lankan Pastor Neil Edirisinghe of the House Church Foundation was gunned down by two assailants ...
- www.lonelyplanet.com/sri-lanka/.../martyrs-mo... - Traduci questa paginaRanked #12 of 37 things to do in Jaffna by Lonely Planet travellers. The Martyr's Monolith which remembers 31 locals killed by the military in 1986 features a ...
- vomcblog.blogspot.com/.../camp-that-heals-in-... - Traduci questa pagina13 Jul 2012 – In recent years, more than 250 churches in Sri Lanka have been damaged or destroyed, and Christians and their homes have been attacked.
- clericalwhispers.blogspot.com/.../fr-srilal-marty... - Traduci questa pagina4 Jun 2012 – Fr Srilal Amaratunga was a "paragon" of justice and courage for the people of Sri Lanka, "a priest through and through" who lived preaching ...